Wednesday, October 10, 2007

So alone

Today started out a normal early work day... got up at 4:50 and out the door by 5:20.. got to work and chatted with my co-workers a bit and when out to my pod or section of the nursing home to set up tables for breakfast. As I entered the pod.. I saw the all so familiar stand with roses and a big " In memory of .... " sign. At first I was worried it was my most favorite grumpy resident .. but with a sigh of relief God did not decide to take her yet. However it was another lady I did not know really well.. but it was still really sad she died. Then I saw my coworker and asked her about when she died.. and I guess it was yesterday afternoon. But then she stopped and said.. " The worst thing is thats she died alone..." ( with a big emphasis on ALONE) MY heart SUNK. I was like what happened?? No family?? Then she said .. they called her son ( who lives in town) and told him she was dying .. however he just said .. " Call me when she is gone." I have no right to judge this man.. he may have had good reason not to see his mother die.. but dying alone... my heart hurt the rest of the day. I just could not imagine the feeling just knowing I am going to die and no one there.. except probably a nurse to confirm that she was dead and to take the time of death.

alright.. I am sorry about all this death talk.. it was just hard and shocking after I just posted that last post about dying alone.

Hope you all have a good day :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uncle Sean's dad died on Monday. Two hours before he died, he prayed the sinner's prayer with Uncle Sean's brother. A definite transformation was noted in Sean's dad. He was glad to die that day because it was a relief from his sufferings and most important, he now had an assurance of his salvation. What's more scary than dying alone, is what will follow after death if you do not have the Lord as your savior. By the way, he died when all three kids were out of the room. But somehow that was ok.

Kyle said...

Wow, that is sad. Just so sad. Thanks for sharing; it gave me some perspective. -Kyle Fey