Thursday, May 24, 2007

Summer time has been busy!

Wow, life has been BUSY!! I have started working for my dads office (well in the Urology office connected to his). It has been fun, I hear lots of stories about my dad .. and it makes me have higher respect of my dad. I mean.. not to brag, but who does not like hearing that their dad is one of the only reasons they can make it through the day! I see how much my dad is respected and can see how his Christian faith is a witness to everyone around him.

Well at work… I mostly do boring work.. like file papers, pull charts, make copies, enter things in the computer, and other things that the busy secretaries do not have time to do. It gets better every day, at first I was so sore from cranking my neck to see the files, but now it is getting better. It is also nice to see my dad!

Today it was really funny.. he came in and asked if I wanted to see him operate and at first I was like .. ummm.. not really today. I told him to come back again another day, plus I was just kinda scared to see him cut into someone's belly. After that, he had a nurse come in and ask me again if I wanted to, so I finally gave in and said yes. Besides, who else really gets a chance to see an operation and it would be fun to see what my dad does (besides the office work I am used to seeing him do in the office!)

So I scrubbed up and went in to the operating room! It was a lady who was having an appendicitis and the surgery was not a big open surgery... it consisted of three small incisions, and the rest was seen on the tv screen! Here is a picture I found online of what it looked like:

I hope you can kind of get the idea from that picture. But it was really cool, I got to see the intestines, liver, ovaries, stomach and other body parts! I kind of got a little anatomy tour .. but it all looked the same to me, not like they have in the books!

Another, piece of news.. sad to some.. happy for others..some don't care the least bit but ... I think am going to stay here in Washington until July 16th. I have a wedding I have to be in, which is in Salem OR, so it will just make sense if I stayed here so I don’t need to buy another plane ticket to go to that. I was originally planning to come back June 12... but I guess that wont work out anymore:(
It will be good to see my family longer... maybe get a hiking trip in with my dad and see a lot more of my nephews! I probably won't be back until Nov. or Dec. so I can see my new baby nephew or niece !!! (www.flanaganclan.com) !!! For all that don't know.. I AM GOING TO BE AN AUNT AGAIN!!!!!!!! So I will be back to see the new child and maybe Josh will come out with me!
I am very sad I won't get to see Josh and everyone back in Iowa for a while, but in the meanwhile I am earning money, saving money, and spending quality time with my family!
Well that’s about it for now.. I hope everyone is doing well! Here are a couple pictures.. the first few are the view of Mount Rainer from the front porch of the house that I was housesitting. I am going to miss this part of Washington.. it is SO pretty!!!! ( not that Iowa corn fields are not pretty....
The second is... of course.. my little boy Sammy!!!



2 comments:

Josh Fey said...

Hey, Rachel, did it smell in the operating room? When Dad did a hernia repair with me in the room, he used some sort of instrument which burned the flesh, and made the most horrid smell. I couldn't the smell out of my nostrils for the rest of the day! And I almost passed out. I was sitting there, watching the anesthesiologist so I wouldn't have to see icky body parts, and Dad was pulling things out of the body and saying "Hey, Sarah, Look at this... it's ____". SO GROSS. I told myself then and there I'd never be a doctor! Ha!!!! At least I got paid to watch it ;o).

~SARAH~

Josh Fey said...

hahah, I clocked out to watch it but i should have kept clocked in! ;) jk! I did feel a bit faint at sometimes.. mostly when dad pulled it out and was like here rachel .. here it is!!!