Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The man who graduates today and stops learning tomorrow is uneducated the day after. ~Newton D. Baker

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
You are the guy who'll decide where to go.
~Dr. Seuss

Rachel told me that she posted, and after falling off my chair in awe, I decided it wouldn't be a bad idea to write my thoughts on cyber-paper again. I'm going to mix some quotes in here dealing with graduation and such things, considering that Friday is the big day!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ~Attributed to Mark Twain, unconfirmed

So graduation is Friday, and I've been reading a lot this last week or so, mainly because I only have 3 exams, and 2 of them are extremely easy (and I only need like a 60% to get an "A" in the class). So I've been reading a lot of Zig Ziglar lately - See You At The Top and Over The Top. If anybody is looking for a good book to read, especially somebody who is graduating - be it from high school, college or grad school or anything- I would highly recommend See You at the Top, and Over The Top is the sequel, both awesome books.

The things taught in schools and colleges are not an education, but the means of education. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's a gorgeous day outside, a perfect day to start my Tuesday night golf league. I'm playing with my Investments professor, so even if I golf poorly I'll still have a good time and learn a thing or two hopefully.

Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing worth knowing can be taught. ~Oscar Wilde, "The Critic as Artist," 1890

Work starts 2 weeks from yesterday. I'm not sure that I'm fully ready for 7-5 everyday, but I think I'll acclimate to that lifestyle fairly quickly. I'm definitely excited for the paychecks to start rolling in and the retirement fund to start building (never too early to start right dad?).

Education is what survives when what has been learned has been forgotten. ~B.F. Skinner

Lately I've been thinking a lot of my high school Advanced Placement English class. We talked a lot about Thoreau and Emerson and such, and I've been reflecting on those lately.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

You know, I'm not really all that scared of whats coming up. I've been praying and trying to put it all in God's hands, he's a lot smarter than me anyways.
Not all of my reflection has been secular:
This has kinda been my favorite verse of all time, gotten me through a lot:

Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (NIV)

another personal favorite:

Proverbs 19:21 Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails. (NIV)

and of course:

Romans 8:28 And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. (NLT) .

Well..maybe that is all the quotes you can handle, maybe you're ready for me to stop, and it probably is about time, considering you've probably got two new posts to read today (amazing isn't it). So I hope to see a lot of you on Friday, travel safe! And for those of you I don't see (flanaganclan), hopefully I'll see ya soon enough!

1 comments:

Sarah said...

I like your quotes, Josh. I like how you've now been officially added to the title of this blog... very fitting, considering all your contributions! I hope you and Rach have a wonderful graduation. Wish we could be there, but I'm sure we'll get to see lots of pictures!

~SARAH~