Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Today!

Alright,, i might be a nerd but today was SO awesome!!! At school we have been learning about the rotator cuff and rehab of it. AND GUESS WHO THE FIRST PATIENT OF THE DAY WAS_ A ROTATOR CUFF REPAIR EVALUATION ( two weeks out of surgery... first day of PT) !! It was SO interesting... because with a rotator cuff right out of surgery you don't want to have the patient actively move the muscle... because that could lead to tears in the newly fixed muscles and ligaments. However, the PT or PTA has to do passive range of motion (moving the relaxed arm for the the patient) to help from getting a frozen shoulder. It was very interesting to read the patients surgery report and see what was repaired ( the supraspinantus and the bicipital tendon of the long head of the biceps) and trying to figure out which actions the PT should try to avoid to further harm the muscles ( in this case it was a couple different motions) .

Ok..I am sorrry.. my inner-nerd is coming out but I just LOVE IT!! I love seeing in action what I am learning and I think this is the most awesome field in the world. God has been SO good to me to help me find something that I love!!!!!!!


Also .. tomorrow I get to spend v-day with a very adorable boy. I will tell you all about it tomorrow or someday soon :)

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Well, you aren't spending V-day with any of my sweet, adorable little boys.... so who on earth can it be???

You always seemed like you would be good with helping people, and a PTA seems like such a good career match for you. I could never do anything like that... I don't mind taking care of my little guys, but I don't think I could handle anyone else :-P. I'm so glad you're happy. Just make sure to MOVE BACK TO WA when you're done with schooling, ok??

Anonymous said...

Rachel;
It's nice to hear that you are doing well, and learning a lot. We wait anxiously for your next post.
Vater

Anonymous said...

Hi my darling Rachel!! Happy Valentines Day. We just go back from a Wilderness Medicine conference in Big Sky, Montana. It was a lot of fun. We were taught how to splint fractures out in the wilderness as well as how to prepare for other emergencies. Lots of fun. Dad skied very powdery snow and loved it. Glad we are home. Love, MOM