Tuesday, June 26, 2007

unsure...

When I first started high school our first assignment was to memorize this hymn.. and as I have grown I still have it memorized. It is such a good reminder that whatever happens our lives are in God's hands. I often get SO uncertain of my life and where it will end up, but then little things happen unexpectedly, like finding a roommate and an apartment in Sioux center in ONE day, and things like that remind me that God is in control and has my life perfectly planned out.


Yesterday my grandma had another heart attack and was put on hospice care.. meaning that she probably wont last too much longer. It is weird to think that this is my last grandparent.. and she is almost gone. However, I think it is her time because she is lonely and so sick.. this world has nothing to offer her compared to the life she will soon have in heaven.


So here is the hymn .. PLEASE read it over.. it is VERY good. I always recite the first verse to myself when I am uncertain with life and it give me so much comfort!

"My times are in Thy hand." -- Psalm XXXI.15


Father, I know that all my life
Is portioned out for me,
And the changes that are sure to come,
I do not fear to see;
But I ask Thee for a present mind
Intent on pleasing Thee.

I ask Thee for a thoughtful love,
Through constant watching wise,
To meet the glad with joyful smiles,
And to wipe the weeping eyes;
And a heart at leisure from itself,
To soothe and sympathise.

I would not have the restless will
That hurries to and fro,
Seeking for some great thing to do
Or secret thing to know;
I would be treated as a child,
And guided where I go.


So I ask Thee for the daily strength,
To none that ask denied,
And a mind to blend with outward life
While keeping at Thy side;
Content to fill a little space,
If Thou be glorified.


In a service which Thy will appoints,
There are no bonds for me,
For my inmost heart is taught "the truth"
That makes Thy children "free;"
And a life of self-renouncing love
Is a life of liberty.

Anna Laetitia Waring

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel, that song is one my favorites too!!! I love you dolly and know the Lord will lead you through out your life. LOVE, MOM

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel - Sorry to hear about your grandma.... glad to hear about your roommate and apartment - so happy things are falling into place as far as your life in Iowa. I love the song too - words are beautiful - I'd love to hear the music/melody sometime. Hopefully see you in a few weeks. Jan