Sunday, March 02, 2008

"Whenever I'm around you, you got me thinking.. I like the sound of that"

Wow this weekend weather has been really nice... you know.. a whole 40*!!!!! I woke up Saturday morning and thought about what a nice day it would be for a run. So I got my running shoes on and ran all around Sioux Center. It was a good workout but now I am SORE! I gotta get in that exercise mode so that I will hopefully develop good habits for the summer when I am not too busy with school.

Also, the little ice patch at the end of my drive way has been slowly melting so I have been faithfully spending hours chipping away at the ice ( and water!!) .. which is totally not gone now. I think my neighbors think I am a retard trying to get my driveway perfectly ice free..

However now I have other problems...
My BACK HURTS!! I never had a good back but a mix of this ice scrapping and being a stomach sleeper has been taking a toll on the back . So I got resistant tubing that they use for physical therapy and I am going to use it to strengthen my back muscles and hopefully that will help. I will have to pull out my therapeutic exercise school book and look up all the exercises for my back!


Anyone have a good idea how to stop sleeping on your stomach?? It is such a bad habit and it is so bad for my back but it one of the only ways I can sleep!


Anyways... hope everyone is having a good Sunday:)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel;
Ice on sidewalks and driveways is not good. But don't ruin your back! You need to do more backpacking! When are you coming home this summer to do backpacking? Are they going to let you off at all this summer?
Vater

Anonymous said...

Rachel, I don't know how you can sleep on your stomach. To me, that's the most uncomfortable position!! Are you bending at the knees when you lift things?? Maybe that's part of your problem is poor lifting mechanics.
MOM

Sarah said...

I know one way to stop sleeping on your stomach, but I don't recommend you try it, at least not yet. Get pregnant. Then you seriously can't. Haha. Have you tried rolling blankets up and wedging them on either side of you? I do that with babies :-P, but maybe it would work for you. Sometimes I sleep on my stomach, too, but I'm normally a side sleeper. Love you!

Anonymous said...

When I had a bulging disk in my lower back, my super, great chiropractor (Dr. Paul Okomoto)in Portland, had me do seal exercises that strengthen your stomach muscles which helped relieve the back pain; and sleep on my side in the fetal position with a pillow between my knees. I do this even now if I ever overdue it in yardwork. Also, taking Glucosamine/Chondroitin Sulfate really helps. And ... like your mom said, bend those knees!

feuchtster said...

Hey, Rachel... I thought you would find it interesting... "Cheerful Chat" is an anagram for your name. Meaning if you were to rearrange all the letters in "Rachel Feucht", you can get "Cheerful Chat". Cool, huh?

Sarah said...

Rachel, another anagram for your name is "Fat Church Eel" Hahaha! Well, I guess it's better than what my name came up with... but I won't tell you what it is on your blog :-P